Harveys of Lewes
- Public Transport within 5 miles
- Eco Initiatives
Weekday evenings by prior arrangement with the brewery. Groups of up to 25. Please write to: The Head Brewer, Harvey & Sons (Lewes) Ltd, The Bridge Wharf Brewery, Lewes, Sussex BN7 2AH
Min age: 18
Harveys beers & gifts plus full range of wines, beers & spirits
Train: Lewes, 0.5 miles
Bus: Lewes buses
Get in Touch
Tel: 01273 480209
Facebook: Harvey and Son Ltd
Founded in 1790 and Sussex's oldest independent brewery, Harveys is almost synonymous with the delightful market town of Lewes. Once the font of revolution – the free-thinker and US founding father Thomas Paine spent six formative years here – more recently Lewes became a pioneer of local sustainability. It was one of the first towns to have a regular farmers' market in the 1990s, and Harveys' head brewer, Miles Jenner, steadfastly sticks to buying its raw materials from local growers, and restricts distribution of his beers to a 60 mile radius of the brewery.
Nevertheless, the fame of Harveys' beers has spread – they are never off the podium – and demand for tours is so high there is as much as a two-year wait for these evening events.
But it's worth it. To be regaled by Miles and his team on the history of brewing and the heritage of Harveys, to take a walk around the historic Grade II-listed building finishing in the cask and bottling cellar prior to a tasting of both regular and seasonal ales, is a rare treat.
Just 75 minutes from London by train, plus a ten-minute walk, this is the place for an intriguing insight into a regional – some would say national – hero.
- Miles Jenner, Brewer of the Year – 2009 Guild of Beer Writers annual awards
- Bill Brewer – Trophy, low alcohol/no alcohol class, 2009 & 2010 International Beer Challenge
- Prince of Denmark – Gold, 2010 International Beer Challenge
- Mild Ale – World's Best Mild Ale, 2010 World Beer Awards
- Ingredients – Harveys has its own Artesian spring water supply and uses local hops & barley
- Spent hops & grains – these are recycled to local gardeners and farmers, including Plumpton College
- Local – distribution is kept within a 60 miles radius of brewery.
- Bottles – these are re-used when returned by customers
- Dancing in the Old Ale – first Saturday, October
Harveys is a major sponsor of all local charities
CAMRA, cask marque, IFBB